"Happiness is like a butterfly;the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder."-Thoreau

Monday, June 2, 2008

Summer with Abby

We are starting to wind down at school now with only three more days with the students and then a week of workdays left. I cannot wait to be off for the summer hanging out with my little Abby everday. She is learning new tricks and starting to really show her own little personality. This past weekend she really started rolling over from her back to her stomach. At about 4 months she rolled from her stomach to her back, but she is now a "squirmy little wormy" as I call her. Its like a wrestling match to change her diaper sometimes. She surely gets all of this energy from her daddy:) I just wish she had my ability to take long naps- especially on Sunday afternoons. I remember the days before she was born when I would come from church and go to bed and sleep for three hours sometimes. Memorial day weekend when Grammy and Pawpaw were here was the first time that had happened since Jan.16. I can't complain about her sleeping at night though- people think we're kidding when we tell them she goes to bed so early. I read up a lot about healthy sleeping habits and learning how to help them establish those early on and i think it helped some. Babies are all different and they will naturally develop their own little schedule with some help from us. I am hoping to get her taking some more regular naps this summer while I'm at home with her. We're also going to do a lot of playing, reading books, eating lunch with daddy on Weds., and having play dates with her baby friends, celebrating the arrival of new babies (baby Wormick, and baby Lewis), and trying to soak up every moment of our time together. I feel like time just keeps moving on too fast. I love those moments when I'm rocking her and she just stares into my eyes as if she's looking into my soul. It has to be one of the best feelings I've ever felt. Well, I need to wake her up from her nap so that she can eat dinner, take a bath and get ready for bed soon.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I can imagine you're counting down the days until it's you and Abby over the summer! Have fun! Soak it all up!

The Slocumb Family said...

You are going to love the time with Abby this summer. She is starting to do lots of new things and you will get to see them first. I cannot believe that she is already rolling over and eating food. That is great!