"Happiness is like a butterfly;the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder."-Thoreau

Thursday, February 14, 2008

"Opossum"


Abby is my little "Opossum." This is the nickname I have developed for her over the past few weeks. I know opossum are not very lovely creatures, but looks are not what gives her this nickname. She gets the nickname because she plays "opossum" with me quite frequently. Sometimes when Cindy or I feed her, she will drink one or two ounces of formula and then "go to sleep," only to wake up in a few minutes screaming at us for not continuing to feed her. Sometimes she likes to get in her swing or lay on our chest and play like she's asleep. I have found this usually this happens between midnight and 4am. Just about the time you think she is asleep and you try to place her in her crib, Miss Abby decides "It's not quite time to sleep." Other nicknames have come and gone over the past few weeks, including pumpkin, Driver 8 (when she is feeding and needs to burp I tell her to "Take a break Driver 8. I have no idea why) and angel but none have stuck like "Opossum." So, until she figures out what a opossum is and begins to resent me for calling her one, she will be our little "Opossum."

No comments: