"Happiness is like a butterfly;the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder."-Thoreau

Saturday, February 16, 2008

The bird and the snake

Every day this week after I have left for work, Cindy has been awaken to the sound of pecking and scratching at the window. The first day it startled her since she knew I had left for work and no one else was, or should be, in the house. She quickly discovered the reason for the noise.

We had our front windows on the house treated a few years ago to help reduce the the amount of heat the was coming in from the afternoon sun. As a result, the windows now have a reflective quality, just like sunglasses have mirrored lenses. Apparently a robin has deceided that there is another bird who looks just like him or her and it does not like it. I finally got to see the bird in action this morning and let me tell you, it is quite annoying. At 7am this morning I was standing in my front yard in my pajamas, no shoes and my cowboy hat. I was waiting to throw the hat at the bird if it returned but after five minutes of freezing I headed inside. As soon as I was inside I heard "peck" and I looked up to see the bird once again at the window. The next solution was to throw tennis balls at the window in an attempt to scare the bird away. It worked for a while but the bird still returns.

Cindy and I had the idea to try and get rid of the bird for good. We went to Target today and bought a plastic snake. It's bright yellow and about two feet long. I used my golf ball retreiver to place it on the window sill in hopes of using the birds natural instincts to keep it away from the window. For his sake, we hope this works. The next step may be a more permanent solution, in the form of a pellet rifle.

No comments: