"Happiness is like a butterfly;the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder."-Thoreau

Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Greatest Act of Love

My heart is jumping with excitement about the new addition to our extended family. Sean Joseph Fleming was adopted recently by my brother and his wife. For two days things were in limbo as they awaited the birth mothers final decision. As I prayed, I couldn't help but to think how hard this decision was for the birth mother. As a mother now, I know that the memory of seeing that sweet baby for the first time is forever etched in your memory and will always be in your heart. I can't imagine having to make that decision. The young mother first made the right decision, and chose life. Second, she sacrificed her feelings for the well-being and future of someone so precious to her. Then, I think about my brother and Helen. To go through everything they did, the waiting, the financial burden adoption is today, the life change, to love someone like they are your own, and this is why I believe adoption is one of the greatest acts of love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl, I am so happy for your brother! I enjoyed your post. I look at adoption in a similar way. What an act of love for a mother to allow another family to give her baby a better life, the life they deserve. That is unconditional love!!!!